Acceptable use policy
Users' acceptable use policy for FindanEngineer.com
FindanEngineer.com only contains firms which employ Chartered Structural Engineers.
The Institution of Structural Engineers ("IStructE") is a learned society and qualifying body, and admits as Chartered Structural Engineers only those with approved academic qualifications and practical experience, and who have passed the Institution's interview and written examination. Members of IStructE are bound by IStructE's Rules of Conduct:
- Members of IStructE in their responsibility to the profession shall have full regard to the public interest;
- Members of IStructE shall order their conduct so as to uphold the dignity, standing and reputation of the profession;
- Members of IStructE shall discharge their duties with integrity;
- Members of IStructE shall not maliciously or recklessly injure or attempt to injure, whether directly or indirectly, the professional reputation of another engineer;
- Members of IStructE responsible for the control of a consulting practice shall ensure that its documentation properly describes its structure and organisation, for example a sole practitioner, partnership, or private or public limited company; and
- Members of IStructE shall have a duty to update and broaden their professional knowledge and skills on a continuing basis.
IStructE's guidance to members on professional conduct includes the following:
Members undertaking professional services as structural engineers, either personally or through an organisation shall ensure that appropriate professional indemnity insurance is carried. For the avoidance of doubt, members not offering the protection of professional indemnity insurance should so advise their clients before accepting a commission (and failure to do so could be regarded as a breach of the Rules of Conduct). Requirements in relation to professional indemnity insurance may differ in some countries and members should act accordingly to local, legal or other requirements and custom.
IStructE is not, however, involved in matters of a contractual nature (such as fees) or in resolving technical or commercial queries between members and clients. Furthermore, IStructE is not itself responsible for any aspect of members' work or behaviour. The information contained in this Directory has been supplied by the members themselves, and not by IStructE. IStructE is not liable for the accuracy of the information contained in the Directory.